With the high winds the remnants of Sandy will bring us, prepare to be without power. It could be a few hours or it could be several days.
If you do lose power, keep the fridge and freezer closed. According to foodsafety.gov, a fully stocked refrigerator will keep food safe for UP TO 4 HOURS and food in the freezer should be okay if it is at 40 degrees or less when the power comes back on.
Here are some recommended supplies to keep in a basic emergency kit:
- Canned food (tuna, soup, fruit, veggies)
- Manual can opener
- Food bars ( protein, cereal, granola)
- Peanut Butter
- Paper plates,cups, forks, spoons
- Bottled water - one gallon per person per day
- First aid supplies (bandages, antibiotic ointment, aspirin)
- Flashlights and battery-powered radio
- Extra batteries
- Toilet paper and facial tissue
- Personal care items (tootbrush, toothpaste, soap, antibacterial wipes, feminine supplies)
- Infant supplies (formula, food, diapers)
Want a more detailed list? CLICK HERE for the Pennsylvania Emergency Preparedness Guide.