- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup minced fresh sage
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 Apples, cut into wedges
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- In a small saucepan, combine the apple cider, jelly and butter. Cook and stir until butter is melted. Remove from the heat and set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons for finishing.
- In a small bowl, combine minced sage and butter. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey breast; rub butter mixture under the skin. Brush turkey with apple cider. Sprinkle salt and pepper over turkey and inside cavity.
- Place the apples, onion and sage leaves inside the cavity. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with cider mixture. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Brush with reserved cider mixture. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before slicing.Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Apple-Sage Roasted Turkey in Simple & Delicious October/November 2011, p49