Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
Yields: 3 cups | Serving Size: 1/2 Cup | Calories: 185 | Previous Points: 4 | Points Plus: 5 | Total Fat: 5 gm | Saturated Fats: 3 gm | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 16 mg | Sodium: 198 mg | Carbohydrates: 23 gm | Dietary fiber: 2 gm | Sugars: 4 gm | Protein: 11 gm
- 1-1/2 cups, 1% milk
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp. cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 4 oz. 2% sharp cheddar cheese (get the block and grate 1 cup full. That's about 4 oz.)
- 2 cups dry, penne whole wheat pasta
Whisk together the milk, egg whites and cornstarch in your slow cooker insert. Be sure to whisk well.
Stir in the grated cheese and pasta shells.
Cook on low for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
NOTES ON THE RECIPE:
After the first hour, stir the food on a semi regular basis. About every 15 minutes or so. This will do 2 things.
1) It will allow the pasta to cook evenly.
2) It will allow you to keep any eye on the pasta and see when it's done. Every slow cooker is different, so the timing for this recipe may be slightly different on this for you. Pasta goes from "cooked" to "mush" very quickly. So be sure to keep stirring on occasion to keep an eye on things.
This was made in a 3 quart slow cooker. Should you wish to double the recipe, double everything except the cornstarch (use 1 tbsp.) and cook in a 4 or 5 quart slow cooker (we used a 5 quart for doubling the recipe). Time and temp does not change when doubling the recipe.
Also, if doubling the milk, you will most likely end up with extra sauce. This sauce is wonderful over a side of veggies.
For a crispier top, place under broiler oven for 3-5 minutes.
Note: We recommend penne pasta with this slow cooker version. Smaller shells don't hold up well in the slow cooker.